“The Power of Together”
Federated Insurance, a subsidiary of Northbridge Financial Corporation, is a leading commercial property and casualty insurance company that’s been helping protect Canadian businesses for more than 90 years. We’re 100% Canadian!
We offer a wide range of creative solutions to our customers and we strive to create a fair and friendly culture, upheld by the foundation of our five corporate values: respect, passion, connectedness, creativity, and excellence. At Federated our purpose is to Trust, Advise and Protect.
By continually striving to challenge the status quo, and by focusing on our customers’ needs, we’ve been able to build our reputation as one of Canada’s largest commercial insurance providers.
To help us continue to build on this success, we’re committed to attracting, developing and retaining the best people.
Be part of a team that’s passionate about making a difference every day, fueled by our entrepreneurial spirit and where everyone owns a part of our success. Our company has had an amazing journey so far, and our future is full of new possibilities.
The Underwriting Specialist is responsible for underwriting complex accounts and solving complex underwriting challenges using a broad perspective to identify solutions. This position will be part of an underwriting team that values collaboration, works hard to develop long-lasting relationships and strives to exceed expectations and deliver excellent results. The successful candidate will bring a broad knowledge and understanding of commercial property and casualty underwriting disciplines and pricing models as well as a solid base of insurance trends and developments. The Underwriting Specialist will leverage strong communication skills for technical guidance and mentorship to junior members of the team. In addition, the Underwriting Specialist will demonstrate the ability to focus on the needs of the Sales Agent and the client, delivering an exceptional customer experience to external and internal stakeholders.
What you will be doing:
- Responsible for the successful evaluation, selection, negotiation, and pricing for assigned policies in order to ensure a profitable book of business within established underwriting authority.
- Develop and maintain a professional relationship with the Federated Sales Team and/or customers to enhance understanding of the target market and to contribute to quality service, problem solving, and risk selection.
- Understand and apply best business practices towards compliance, internal control and operational risk controls in accordance to national standards and regulatory standards and policies.
- Develop and maintain a knowledge and understanding of company operations and procedures, including demographic, economic and social characteristics to increase market share.
- Mentor and train less experienced underwriters and support staff.
- Provide input to the Manager and Director on various underwriting, strategic, staffing and other issues as requested.
- Work collaboratively on special projects and assignments.
- Other duties as assigned.
What we are looking for:
- Seven to ten years’ experience in the commercial property and casualty industry.
- Bilingual (English/French) is a definite asset.
- Post-secondary school education and/or equivalent on the job experience.
- CIP/FCIP or CRM professional designation.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency at managing multiple and changing priorities/project and delivering results.
- Ability to explain the underwriting and pricing logic regarding sensitive issues.
- Effective demonstration of the ability to identify and analyze relevant data defining critical issues, alternatives and solutions.
- Ability to influence decisions and gain agreement and/or support on sensitive issues.
- Experience delivering training and mentorship to junior underwriters and administrative staff while acting as a resource on risks outside the authority level of less experienced team members.
- Strong report writing skills with emphasis on detail and precision.
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
What sets you apart:
- Knowledge and understanding of underwriting philosophy, policy contracts, rating programs, risk information sources, underwriting/technical manual information and statuary constraints.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and willingness to become proficient in Federated computer workflow procedures.
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional and technical development.
- Demonstrated proficiency and resourcefulness in identifying and analyzing relevant data and defining critical issues and alternatives.
- Successful track record of fostering and building long-term working relationships with Sales Agents, clients and other business areas.
- Patience, empathy and understanding in dealing with employees and clients.
Northbridge welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Interested, qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by the deadline date.
More search results
Senior Implementation Specialist, Commercial Lines
The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company
Senior Product Specialist – Personal Insurance
The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company
Administrative Assistant - IIBC
Supervisor, Risk & Loss Control
Region of Durham