Regional Underwriter - Commercial Auto (Contract)
Regional Underwriter, Commercial Auto (Contract)
Because a changing industry calls for a new way of doing things. An ambitious, innovative and fast-paced company, we offer exceptional training and development programs, competitive pay, great benefits, company-matched RRSPs, and paid volunteer days — all within an engaging, fun, and collaborative work environment.
Founded more than 145 years ago, Economical is one of Canada’s leading property and casualty insurance companies. We rely on our national network of more than 800 independent brokers to sell a range of car, home, business, and farm insurance solutions. With Sonnet and Petline, we’re extending our reach through the direct-to-customer channel. With more than 2,400 active employees across the country and a commitment to rethinking the insurance experience, we’re poised for great things.
We’re now adding to our high-performance team to take us into the future. Let’s rethink insurance, together.
In this role, you will:
Be accountable for profitable underwriting of mid-market fleet and garage accounts in accordance with Company underwriting guidelines and your level of underwriting authority as assigned.
- Assessing, accepting, and declining moderate to complex new business submissions, within assigned underwriting authority
- Re-underwriting and negotiating renewals and policy endorsements
- Ordering of inspections, financial reports, or other underwriting information for use in your analysis of critical risk hazards and decision making
- Negotiating the terms and conditions of risk acceptance with brokers in writing, by telephone, electronic mail or in person
- Participating in production calls on brokerage offices, as required
- Providing technical support to brokers
- Actively participating in weekly internal production meetings
- Mentoring and providing technical support to less experience team members
Your Skills and Experience:
- University degree or a college diploma or the CIP designation is required
- Minimum of 3 years Commercial Automobile Insurance underwriting experience (specifically fleet and garage)
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Professional friendly and courteous in all interactions, with both customers and co-workers
- Performs well in a busy environment and remains calm under pressure
- Team player adaptable to a changing environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem solving abilities
- Strong sales orientation
- Proven ability to develop and maintain positive broker relations
At Economical, we all work together to come up with big ideas — then bring them to life. We focus on our customers first, we bring our best, and we’re stronger together. If you’ve got the passion and the desire to help us reinvent insurance, let’s talk.
HOW TO APPLY
Create a general profile here. To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume before you apply for the role you’re interested in. Please note that only one document can be uploaded, so be sure to combine your resume and cover letter.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment that welcomes diversity and supports accessibility across the organization. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: email@example.com.
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.
Economical Insurance includes the following companies: Economical Mutual Insurance Company, Family Insurance Solutions Inc., Sonnet Insurance Company, Petline Insurance Company.