Manager, Commercial Underwriting
Because a changing industry calls for a new way of doing things. An ambitious, innovative and fast-paced company, we offer exceptional training and development programs, competitive pay, great benefits, company-matched RRSPs, and paid volunteer days — all within an engaging, fun, and collaborative work environment.
Founded more than 145 years ago, Economical is one of Canada’s leading property and casualty insurance companies. We rely on our national network of more than 800 independent brokers to sell a range of car, home, business, and farm insurance solutions. With Sonnet and Petline, we’re extending our reach through the direct-to-customer channel. With more than 2,400 active employees across the country and a commitment to rethinking the insurance experience, we’re poised for great things.
We’re now adding to our high-performance team to take us into the future. Let’s rethink insurance, together.
In this role, you will:
- Drive the profitable growth of Economical’s commercial auto and property insurance business in the region.
- Lead a team of underwriters in selecting mid to large market auto and property risks that generate an underwriting profit.
- Maintain a profitable mid-market commercial insurance portfolio.
- Achieving profitable growth targets within the Ontario Region.
- You’ll support the Regional Commercial Manager in effectively communicating and successfully implementing Commercial Insurance strategy for mid-market and large market underwriting.
- You’ll develop, coach/mentor and manage the performance of Direct Reports, including identification of areas where performance improvement plans are needed to ensure achievement of business, functional and individual productivity levels, profitability targets, service level agreements, and KPIs.
- Ensure adherence to corporate underwriting and quality control initiatives to ensure the achievement of Return-on-Equity targets.
- You’ll help build a culture of high performance and sustained profitable growth by promoting and supporting an environment that encourages productivity, collaboration, teamwork, and a high level of professionalism.
- You’ll ensure your decision making, and that of the team, aligns to Economical's Business Strategies.
- You’ll ensure that your team is compliant with federal and provincial regulations as related to Auto and Property Insurance.
- You’ll collaborate with the Vice President, and the Business Development team to define and execute a regional broker relationship management strategy to drive profitable and sustainable growth of the commercial insurance portfolio within the Region.
- You’ll support direct reports in building and managing relationships with assigned brokers and the broader broker network within the region.
Your Skills and Experience
- University degree in any discipline or two year College diploma in a relevant discipline or CIP designation.
- 10-15 years of Commercial Underwriting experience, including 3-5 years of supervisory experience leading teams of Underwriters in the Commercial Insurance Industry
- CIP designation, or a commitment to completing the CIP is required
- Exceptional customer service, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong management and leadership skills with the ability to build and maintain effective relationships with business partners and Brokers
- Strong analytical thinking and planning skills
- Leadership experience in guiding a team through sustained organizational change
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, leading organizational change
- Strong ability to influence and effectively negotiate with stakeholders
At Economical, we all work together to come up with big ideas — then bring them to life. We focus on our customers first, we bring our best, and we’re stronger together. If you’ve got the passion and the desire to help us reinvent insurance, let’s talk.
HOW TO APPLY
To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume before you apply for the role you’re interested in. Please note that only one document can be uploaded, so be sure to combine your resume and cover letter.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment that welcomes diversity and supports accessibility across the organization. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.
Economical Insurance includes the following companies: Economical Mutual Insurance Company, The Missisquoi Insurance Company, Perth Insurance Company, Waterloo Insurance Company, Family Insurance Solutions Inc., Sonnet Insurance Company, Petline Insurance Company.