Mid-Market Property Underwriter
Because a changing industry calls for a new way of doing things. An ambitious, innovative and fast-paced company, we offer exceptional training and development programs, competitive pay, great benefits, company-matched RRSPs, and paid volunteer days — all within an engaging, fun, and collaborative work environment.
Founded more than 145 years ago, Economical is one of Canada’s leading property and casualty insurance companies. We rely on our national network of more than 800 independent brokers to sell a range of car, home, business, and farm insurance solutions. With Sonnet and Petline, we’re extending our reach through the direct-to-customer channel. With more than 2,400 active employees across the country and a commitment to rethinking the insurance experience, we’re poised for great things.
We’re now adding to our high-performance team to take us into the future. Let’s rethink insurance, together.
In this role, you will:
- Contribute to the profitable growth of the business by identifying the underlying factors that contribute to the profitability of a risk while demonstrating the ability to constructively engage, influence and negotiate to exceed broker needs and expectations.
- Demonstrate a strong market knowledge and visibility in the industry as a respected collaborator able to partner with brokers for the purpose of growing a profitable portfolio of business.
- Make underwriting and pricing decisions on individual risks, as well as underwriting the individual risk within the context of a broker's broader portfolio of business.
- Be accountable for the selection and proper rating of mid-market property insurance transaction types (e.g., applications, endorsements, renewals, cancellations, voids, reinstatements, etc.).
Underwriting operational and technical expertise (for mid-market property):
- Assess risk and accept, decline, or amend new business submissions, policy endorsements, renewals, etc. for mid-market property transactions for assigned brokers
- Understand and align decision making to Economical's line of business and segmentation strategies
- Leverage tools, resources and reports to appropriately evaluate risks and make effective underwriting decisions
- Effectively coordinate with other underwriters (in either small business and mid-market commercial property) to manage broker transactions that span across risk types (small business vs. mid-market) or multiple product areas (e.g., auto, IRCA, property)
- With guidance, accurately price risks using the appropriate data, tools, and processes
- Manage adherence to relevant service level agreements, productivity levels, and profitability targets
- Implement operational controls as appropriate
- Provide exceptional service to brokers for all interactions, and seeks to add value in every broker interaction
- Manage relationships with assigned brokers as it relates to commercial property insurance, and acts as a point of contact for inquiries related to commercial property insurance
- Identify and proactively address service issues as well as data quality concerns with broker transactions, and escalate as required
- Consistently document each broker interaction in the relevant system for reference at a later date
- Effectively manage multiple transactions within the policy case management system, leveraging system functionalities to appropriately route and document processing of transactions
- Demonstrate deep understanding of the policy administration systems and how functionalities can be used to best respond to broker inquiries and needs, and completes all the required documentation in the system
- Follow appropriate procedures for document management within SharePoint
- Apply knowledge of SharePoint to access most up-to-date materials, guides and/or tools
- Interact with brokers to evaluate and approve risks
- Collaborate with other underwriters to obtain mentoring and referral support
- Coordinate with technical processing via the policy case management system to provide detailed instructions for underwriting support
- Collaborate with mid-market business development staff and other underwriters to share information about clients and brokers, and ensure service excellence in broker interactions
- Coordinate with technical processing to identify and address trends in commercial auto transactions
- Collaborate with other roles in underwriting operations to appropriately escalate transactions requiring additional technical expertise or approvals (as defined by his/her underwriting authority level)
- Collaborates with peers in other regions to ensure alignment of underwriting activities across regions and shares leading practices
Your Skills and Experience:
- University degree in any discipline, a college diploma in a relevant discipline or the CIP designation or commitment to completing the CIP is required
- 2 to 4 years of relevant underwriting experience in the commercial insurance industry
- Strong customer service, verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent computer literacy skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
At Economical, we all work together to come up with big ideas — then bring them to life. We focus on our customers first, we bring our best, and we’re stronger together. If you’ve got the passion and the desire to help us reinvent insurance, let’s talk.
HOW TO APPLY
Create a general profile here. To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume before you apply for the role you’re interested in. Please note that only one document can be uploaded, so be sure to combine your resume and cover letter.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment that welcomes diversity and supports accessibility across the organization. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: email@example.com.
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.
Economical Insurance includes the following companies: Economical Mutual Insurance Company, The Missisquoi Insurance Company, Perth Insurance Company, Waterloo Insurance Company, Family Insurance Solutions Inc., Sonnet Insurance Company, Petline Insurance Company.
More search results
Farm Mutual Re
Représentant développement des affaires – Souscri…
The Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company of Canada
Claims Adjuster (Personal Lines)
The Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company of Canada
Director AB & BC Regional Claims