Senior Liability Adjuster
JOB NUMBER: UI-18-13
TITLE: Senior Liability Adjuster
DEPARTMENT: Liability Claims
REPORTS TO: Manager, Liability
Unica Insurance is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive work environment free of all forms of discrimination, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in pursuing a job opportunity with Unica Insurance and require accommodation, please advise us so that we can work with you to provide suitable accommodation in the recruitment and selection process.
This position is responsible for investigating, negotiating and settling serious CGL and bodily injury claims. The adjuster will be responsible for direct file handling and communication with all involved parties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Confirm valid coverage.
- Fully investigate liability.
- Fully investigate serious injuries & exposure.
- Must have CGL experience
- Provide instruction and direction to external vendors i.e.: independent adjusters, legal counsel, engineers.
- Calculate ultimate probable exposure and reserve accordingly.
- Properly maintain a diary system to monitor files.
- Ensure files are up to date with BI worksheet, case law, medical and liability information.
- Report any serious injuries to Manager.
- Mentor and coach junior adjusters.
- Prepare Major Loss/Reinsurance Reports and participate in Claims Committee process.
- Comply with service standards as outlined in the claims manual.
- Actively participate in settlement initiatives along with both private and mandatory mediations.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum 5 years of experience adjusting CGL & BI claims.
- CGL experience must include a strong background in coverage (duty to defend vs. indemnify), municipality losses, construction wrap up, product liability, occupier’s liability, and environmental losses.
- Knowledge of regulatory and contractual obligations, medical terminology, vocational rehabilitation concepts and dispute resolution practice.
- Experience with internal and external audits.
- Detail oriented and well organized individual.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Travel to mediations/pre-trials/trials is required
- Superb interpersonal skills and leadership qualities/potential.
- Work well individually or as a part of a team.
- Computer literacy with strong working knowledge of Microsoft programs.
- High School Diploma or equivalent and University or College Degree; have or working towards CIP designation.