Underwriter, Commercial Lines [Junior or Intermediate]
We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace that inspires each of us to be the best we can be. Join our team and make a difference!
- Assess, evaluate and negotiate on moderate to complex risks.
- Apply effective pricing and underwriting strategies in accordance with Company guidelines and personal underwriting authority limits.
- Within your level of authority, quote, negotiate, sell, and authorize the acceptance of moderate to complex new business, renewals, and endorsements to develop and retain profitable business according to the business plan established for the department.
- Participate in broker visits, insurance industry functions and marketing events in support of broker relationship development
- Arrange reinsurance if and when required.
- Work closely to develop and maintain positive business partnerships with brokers, reinsurers and co-workers.
- Answer inquiries, develop and monitor business with brokers through visits, discussions, and correspondence.
- Use the computer system for policy inquiry, electronic filing, underwriting and rating transactions.
- Foster cooperative broker relationships to identify and develop sales opportunities.
- University Degree preferred
- Fluency in English required, both written and verbal.
- Completion of or progress toward a CIP designation preferred.
- 2-8 years of Commercial Lines Underwriting with specific experience in commercial property - the level of position will be determined based on individual experience and education
- Must exhibit a sound knowledge of property and casualty commercial lines insurance required for the role.
- Maintain an expert and current understanding of all relevant Commercial Underwriting Guides and instructions related thereto.
- Demonstrate the ability to handle complex risks.
- Awareness of local community conditions and insurance issues.
- Strong negotiating skills and business savvy
- Initiative and ability to work under pressure
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft office products and computer tools.
Note: The level of role offered will be determined based on skills, experience and education.
Intact Financial Corporation welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in the selection process