Position: Personal Property Manager Reports to: Regional Manager Branch Operations
This position oversees the Underwriting Department staff to ensure the company’s policies and procedures are followed in keeping with the company’s underwriting plan. The Underwriting Manager will also provide guidance with underwriting and broker management issues.
Completion of Grade 12 education
Completion of CIP designation
Commitment to continuing education through participation in industry courses
Willingness to join industry associations
Skills & Experience
- Minimum of 5-10 years of relevant experience in the underwriting function with the company or elsewhere in the property casualty business
- Strong supervisory skills are essential
- Proficient computer skills
- Ability to multi-task, excellent organizational skills
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills, both orally and in writing
- Ability to deal effectively with others in a friendly, courteous and positive manner
- Works well under pressure and deadlines
- Strong analytical skills
- Problem solving with timely solutions
- Team player
- Good attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to travel to visit Brokers as required
- Willing to attend industry functions as required
Committed to providing excellent customer service. Example: Successfully handling a difficult situation or broker, resulting in the broker or insured still wanting to work with Portage Mutual in the future.
Providing timely responses and turnaround time. Example: Ensuring that when you tell a broker something is going to be done, you make sure it is.
- Communicate with customers, industry associates and co-workers in a friendly, courteous and professional manner.
- Underwrite risks and perform audits on files.
- Advise and provide guidance with underwriting issues. Problem solving and conflict resolution when required.
- Oversee work flow of department and staff.
- Answer phone calls, e-mails and staff requests.
- Organize and facilitate Underwriting Department meetings.
- Attend and participate in Supervisors meetings.
- Assist marketing by participating in broker visits.
- Ambassador for the company at Industry Events.
- Coordinate training of department staff.
- Adhere to company policies and procedures which may be developed and implemented from time to time.
- Performs other duties as assigned.