Senior Underwriter, Commercial Lines
Reporting to Director, Western Region, the Senior Underwriter, Commercial Lines is responsible to underwrite commercial property and casualty accounts within prescribed authorities, ensuring the development and maintenance of excellent broker relations.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities:
- Review, evaluate, select and develop pricing on commercial accounts; ensuring compliance with the companies underwriting rules, guidelines, policies and practices.
- Always displays corporate values, contributes to profitable underwriting growth and supports business objectives.
- Manage daily workflow distribution and produce status reporting.
- Recommend business process improvements to manage underwriting workload.
- Encourages openness and clear communication in others by example
- Builds strong customer relationships with Brokers and Agents and facilitates positive working relationships with vendors and services providers.
- Support change initiatives. Maintain personal commitment and focus so that change initiatives reach a successful conclusion
- Technical resource to handle complex accounts in excess of Underwriting Authority for personal lines as required.
- Participate in insurance industry functions and memberships.
- Handles special assignments/projects as assigned.
Education & Experience
- CIP/FCIP designation or working towards completion
- 5-7 years relevant experience in commercial property underwriting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong customer service skills
- Highly organized and ability to multi-task
- Extensive background in personal and commercial lines underwriting
- Strong technical underwriting knowledge of commercial property.
- Possesses strong product knowledge and policy wordings and has thorough knowledge and understanding of industry environment.
- Ability to make sound business decisions based on those wordings
- Ability to determine best practices and enhance business processes for continuous improvement.
- Exceptional analytical skills and portfolio analysis to recognize trends paying close attention to detail.
- Experience in developing underwriting training manuals.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems
- A team player with a positive attitude to achieve excellent service delivery
- Working knowledge of underwriting techniques, guidelines, rating programs, risk information sources, coverages, underwriting/technical manual information, statutory constraints, and computer workflow procedures
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft suite of products