Junior Underwriter, Personal Lines
Reporting to the Underwriting Supervisor, the Junior Underwriter will provide underwriting and risk analysis on Personal Lines Insurance Programs. Attention to detail will ensure competiveness and profitability by adhering to established policies, procedures, rating structures and service level agreements. The successful candidate will have a professional ‘can-do’ attitude and a strong work ethic which will allow them to thrive within a fast paced environment.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities:
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of core products including habitational, trailers, motorcycle and other recreational vehicle insurance.
- Underwriting and pricing of new business, endorsements and renewals of a straightforward nature, while adhering to established policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Can effectively interpret insurance policy wordings when assessing the risk to determine acceptability, classification and rating.
- Uses rational judgement to make sound underwriting decisions that positively contributes to company results.
- Will be required to work within set authority levels and/or referral processes.
- Works collaboratively with both internal and external partners to resolve matters in a professional manner while balancing needs to achieve “win-win” solutions.
- Effectively builds a professional rapport with Brokers and Agents to facilitate a positive working relationship.
- Maintains service level agreements in order to maximize profitability.
- Develop and manage internal relationships to improve cross functional communications.
- Conduct various administrative functions as required.
- Other duties as assigned to achieve corporate objectives.
Education & Experience
- 1 – 3 years Personal Lines experience.
- College or University education in a related field is required
- Presently enrolled in the CIP program would be an asset.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to effectively manage time and meet departmental deadlines.
- Strong mathematical skills and commonsense.
- Sound judgement and confident decision making abilities
- Affinity for learning new technologies.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Exceptional attention to detail and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Adaptability and flexibility.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to work in a professional manner with staff within other departments.
- Ability to work and contribute in a team environment.
- Strong communication skills.
- Good business writing skills.
- Proficient with MS Office – i.e. Excel, Word.
- Individual must adhere to our Corporate values – Teamwork, Integrity, Speed and Innovation.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Echelon Insurance is committed to providing accommodation throughout the interview and employment process. Should you require any accommodation please let Human Resources know so that we can accommodate your individual accessibility needs.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.