Personal Lines Underwriter
Grow your career in leadership with a collaborative, highly-regarded, fun, and industry-leading company - Wawanesa Mutual Insurance. Our friendly environment is flexible, team-based, and offers fantastic employee recognition as well as employer funded career growth! With over 120 years experience as a Canadian-owned leader in the insurance industry, conducting business throughout Canada, California and Oregon, you'll work in a stable yet modern environment in which you can flourish your career as well as impact your local community.
Working under general supervision and with the opportunity to join an exciting new team, the Personal Lines Underwriter is responsible for analyzing the acceptability of moderately complex business with moderate premium volume according to company guidelines by working collaboratively with our sales force and providing value added expertise and service to both potential and existing policyholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform risk analysis using technology as well as external data sources for the purposes of quoting, negotiating and authorizing the acceptance of risk.
- Arrange reinsurance or subscribing companies where appropriate.
- Determine eligibility for policy renewals based on guidelines and retention goals of the company.
- Maintain accurate records of decisions made and maintain completeness of policy data.
- Communicate decisions, and respond to requests in a prompt and professional manner.
- Assist with interpretation of rating procedures, wordings, underwriting policies and regulations.
- Handle work assignments, including calls, efficiently.
- Work effectively towards the goals of the team.
- Maintain positive working relationships with internal and external parties, including networking at industry events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 3 years of Property and Casualty industry experience.
- Post-secondary education or related business experience.
- Actively pursuing a Property and Casualty Industry Designation.
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to review information carefully and comprehensively.
- Strong knowledge of computer systems/software.
- Strong attention to detail, analytical, problem solving and communication skills.
- Strong decision making skills with the ability to provide justification.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Demonstrated planning and organizing skills with the ability to prioritize daily tasks.
- Previous experience training others in software systems would be a definite asset.
- Great communicator, able to convey information in a very understandable and relatable fashion.
Grow with us! Wawanesa offers great growth opportunities where you can work towards a professional insurance designation. Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging, and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company's goals. Our employees enjoy industry-leading total compensation ranging from 5 Personal Days per year, 1 Community Day, most benefits premium-free and start from day #1, training and mentoring opportunities and significant educational reimbursement. Our future is very bright and we've been in business for over 100 years - Wawanesa provides a stable and rewarding environment for its employees in today's challenging markets. Join a Canadian success story! Consider this Vancouver-based opportunity!