Manager, Technical Strategy Casualty
Wawanesa Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Canada. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada. With over 3,000 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders, who are our owners. As an employer, we provide an environment that is respectful, challenging and rewarding. As a corporate citizen, we actively give back to organizations that strengthen communities where we operate, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
Working under minimal supervision, this role contributes to Wawanesa’s success by directing, planning, and implementing strategies and initiatives. As the Manager, Casualty Technical Strategy you will develop the policy, process, risk and control support, and shared initiatives all Wawanesa Regions. Establish and implement claims operations best practices and policies and procedures to ensure quality and consistency. Drive customer service, results and champion continuous improvement. The location for this role will be flexible.
- Stays abreast of industry, regulatory and company changes or trends as they relate to the insurance industry.
- Oversees and coaches a team to ensure the work environment is respectful, challenging and rewarding and employees are maximized to their full potential while contributing to the achievement of Wawanesa's goals.
- Owns the ongoing analysis of trends, including facilitating the evaluation of impact to changes within our book of business
- Owns the end to end claims handling process, and ensures all changes are evaluated and quantified prior to implementation
- Ensures that processes are designed and executed to understand, escalate, track and remediate risk events
- Maintains strong relationships with internal business units and other stakeholders to establish operational objectives, goals and procedures.
- Partners with the operations as it relates to the outcomes of the quality assurance scores; ensuring that any training needs are evaluated and built for national use
- Contributes to and supports the development and evolution of Wawanesa's policies and practices.
- Champions initiatives and be receptive to both employee resistance and acceptance, so that genuine understanding and commitment can occur.
- Maximizes efficiencies and outcomes by ensuring that resources and supporting groups are appropriately aligned with operating goals
- Identifies business needs and drive change initiatives
- Adheres to all statutory and regulatory requirements, fair claims practices and local compliance requirements, including the monitoring of adjuster licensing
- Performs other duties as assigned
- 5+ years’ experience in Property & Casualty and Litigation an asset with three years in a leadership role is preferred.
- Strong MS Office skills.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to influence and gain respect, credibility and confidence from others.
- Ability to make excellent and well justified decisions in complex and high-pressure situations.
- Ability to develop and implement comprehensive plans and solutions that bridge complex issues that span across time.
- Strong business acumen with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to recognize and identify critical issues.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills with the ability to effectively convey ideas in a persuasive and eloquent manner.
- Post-secondary education, and/or completed CIP or equivalent Property and Casualty industry designation is a definite asset
Wawanesa provides its employees with an environment conducive to achieving their goals for personal performance and career development. Our employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, profit sharing, benefits and a defined benefit pension plan). The benefit package is comprehensive and far ranging. Wawanesa provides a stable and rewarding environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, you can view a more detailed job description and apply online at www.wawanesa.com.