Errors & Omissions Manager (Claims)
- Job Category
- Legal, Construction & General Labour, Insurance
- Job Type
As a Canadian leader and partner-of-choice in construction and infrastructure development, Aecon Group Inc. has been a proud nation-building partner to Canada for the last 140 years, helping to build our country from the [under]ground, including such iconic landmarks as the CN Tower, St. Lawrence Seaway, Highway 407 Express Toll Route, Vancouver Sky Train, and the Montreal-Trudeau International Airport.
Aecon provides integrated turnkey services to private- and public-sector clients in the Infrastructure and Industrial sectors, and provides project management, financing and development services through its Concessions segment.
Aecon’s Corporate division provides a support system which extends throughout all branches of the company and includes IT services, communications, finance and human resources, among others.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Errors & Omissions (Claims) Manager will be responsible for analyzing, processing and providing resolution to Errors & Omissions claims, both in respect of bid-build projects where Aecon is the constructor and design-build/EPC/PPP projects where Aecon has partnered with a third party designer or subcontracted the design scope to a third party designer. The Errors & Omissions (Claims) Manager will generally act as the advocate for the constructor. In addition, the successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating case management within Company standards, industry best practices and specific client service requirements, and managing total claim costs.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Investigate and gather information to determine whether the designer has breached the standard of care
- Analyze and interpret applicable E&O insurance policies to determine coverage
- Prepare well-documented claim submissions and correspond directly with the insurer and its adjuster
- Coordinate among project teams, executives, internal and external counsel, joint venture partners, experts, insurers and adjusters
- Take accountability for design-related claims, acting as the champion of the file, pressing for optimal and timely resolution
- Manage multiple claims simultaneously
- Lead discussions and make presentations internally and externally - Select and retain the best suited expert(s) for each file
- For bid-build projects, assist project teams with assessing whether the volume and nature of design changes exceed industry norms
- Conduct or assign full investigation and provide report of investigation pertaining to new claims and legal actions
- Negotiate claim settlements up to designated authority level
- Recommend settlement strategies/proposals as required to maximize settlement
- Communicate claim activity and processing with the appropriate parties
- Ensure claim files are properly documented and claims coding is correct
- Refer cases as appropriate to management
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- 10+ years of design experience with projects similar in nature and scale to those Aecon performs (large infrastructure and industrial)
- Claims management and/or adjusting experience a plus, especially to the extent such experience is specific to E&O claims
- Any or all of P.Eng, CET, MRAIC, CIP, Chartered Loss Adjuster
- Undergraduate degree in a related field - Excellent communication skills (both written and oral)
- Ability to work in a team environment - Must be able to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical, interpretive and organizational skills
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills - Experience in a construction environment is highly valuable
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS OVERVIEW
Aecon offers the opportunity to work on challenging, high profile projects and provides competitive compensation and benefits.
Aecon is an equal opportunity employer.
Aecon accommodates. Upon request, Aecon accommodates candidates with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates may apply directly through our Careers Website under "View Jobs": www.aecon.com/Careers/View_Jobs, Job ID 5083